If you have a child who is due to start Year 7 at secondary school in September 2017 and would like to apply for their place, please follow the application process as outlined on the the Wigan Local Authority web site.
If you would like to move your child from their current secondary school to Atherton Community School you will need to complete an in-year admission form which can be obtained via Wigan Local Authority . If you are considering moving your child to Atherton Community School and would like a tour of the school please contact the school directly on 01942 885500.
ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS 2016/17 Atherton Community School Hamilton Street Atherton M46 0AY Principal: Lynn Burton Admission Number 2016: 90 Age Range: 11-18 DFE number: 4005 Telephone number : 01942 885500 Website: www.athertoncommunityschool.com Email: email@example.com Oversubscription Criteria If there are more applicants than places available, after students with a statement of special need naming the Atherton Community School, places will be offered in the following order:
- ‘Looked after Children’ and previously looked after children. Previously looked after children are children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order). Applications for previously looked after children must be supported with appropriate evidence i.e. a copy of the adoption order, residence order or special guardianship order).
- Children with a sibling (the term “sibling” means a full, half, adopted or fostered brother or sister, or other child living permanently within the same household) on roll at Atherton Community School in Years 7 to 11 at the time of the proposed admission.
- Children whose acute medical or social need justifies a place at the Atherton Community School. Parents must send evidence with their application such as a letter from a relevant professional such as a doctor or social worker.
- Children living closest to the Free School, measured in a straight line from the home address to the front gates of the Free School.
- A request for early entry into Year 7 should be made before 31 October in the previous academic year in order to give sufficient time for the case to be considered prior to the offer of school places on 1 March.
- A request for delayed entry to reception class should be made at the same time as applying for a place for normal entry (i.e. by the closing date of 15 January) in order to give sufficient time for the case to be considered prior to the offer of school places on 16 April.
- A request for in year admission outside of the normal age group should be made on the normal in year transfer form.
- Parent’s views
- The needs of the child and the possible impact on them of being educated out of year group
- The child’s medical history and views of medical professionals if appropriate
- In the case of children born prematurely the fact that they may have naturally fallen into the lower age group if they had been born on their expected date of birth
- Whether delayed academic, social, emotional or physical development is adversely affecting their readiness for school;
- Any other information which the parent requests the local authority to consider.