Intent: The Big Ideas in English at ACS
In English we don’t just learn to read and write. We learn to be people, citizens contributors to our society! We learn to be individuals who are reflective and to develop an understanding of the world around us and how play we our part in it. We do this by learning to:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting our language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; we should be able to elaborate and explain clearly our understanding and ideas.
To support our curriculum each department uses knowledge organisers for the essential learning in each term:
Year 7 Autumn Term:
Year 8 Autumn Term:
Year 9 Autumn Term:
Year 10 Autumn Term:
Year 11 GCSE Knowledge Organisers:
Please see the learning journey’s to see how these are mapped within our English curriculum: